Wednesday, March 30, 2011

[INTERVIEW] TOP’s W Magazine Interview!


I saw you appearing on a talk show. I thought you only matched well as an actor, but your character matches well with variety as well. I saw a very unexpected clumsy side.
I thought things like that was needed. If Daesung wasn’t part of the program, then I would’ve been scared. Before up till now, I’ve always been scared of going to places where there’s a lot of people I don’t know. But it was okay because 3 of the members were there. I don’t really like to be the type who’s always talking and is always loud in front of people, but I had the idea about getting closer to the audience. I tried to show that I’m not a burdening person, but a soft person.




So do you think you succeeded?
I was very distressed afterward because I thought I said a lot of things. I’m the kind of person who feels scared of showing too many things towards people. I’m scared of people knowing a lot of things about me and having them focus on one thing about me. I’m scared of not being able to feel joy in expressing myself willingly.


Then don’t you think you’re able to express all of that when you’re acting or on stage?
If I were to appear on a show often and talk and laugh a lot, musically, will I be able to highly affect it? I’m pretty sure when people watch me rap seriously on stage, they’ll think I’m holding down the weight of the stage. That’s the color of my music so that’s why I struggle when I appear on variety shows. It’s not that I’ve been avoiding it purposely, it was just based on my instinct and I’m going to try to hold it in for the time being.


You’ve gained a lot of popularity through GD&TOP. Who would you choose if you were to pick someone else in the member to partner up with?
All of the members of Big Bang get along really well and we match well so I think it’ll be fun to pair up with anyone. GD&TOP just naturally came out. We didn’t try to wrap up the album nicely and it turned out to be an organic album, so that’s why the results turned out great. The president liked it as well. If the results are good, we’re showing it as a unit, but the meaning behind it would be much greater if it came out naturally rather than forcing it out. Truthfully, I’m kind of disappointed about not having a break before Big Bang came out. I wanted to show a new character but because of the activity that continued, truthfully, I feel my mental energy is insufficient. If it doesn’t show on stage, I think it’s thanks to the wisdom of age.


For their 3 year anniversary, Big Bang and Corso Como collaborated and came out with an outfit.
I definitely liked it because it’s a shop I’ve always liked. I always try to find that store when I go overseas and it’s a place that I shop a lot and because they really like us we were really surprised they wanted to collaborate with us by making a jacket and I was curious as to how the people would take it in. When I saw the design, it linked with Big Bang’s album and it had a fashionable feel so a good synergy came out of it.


Is there a different standard when you rap in Big Bang and when you rap in GD&TOP?
If I rapped freely within GD&TOP without thinking about what others thought, within Big Bang, I try to do a fresh rap so that the people can understand and have fun listening to it. I pondered about whether I should do a rap where I can give off a certain synergy when I’m with the other members.


Acting and rapping, what’s different?
 
I think they’re similar. Rappers have their own colors and always try to express their feelings without showing too much emotion. I think acting and rapping is the same in the sense that both need to show off mind blowing feelings. Just like how I don’t do ordinary rap, I try not to do ordinary acting as well and I think that’s my color. I believe, when acting, I should naturally do it the way I want to, just like when I rap. But if I want to do that I know I should have more basics.


Do you plan on acting anytime soon?
I don’t want to show a lovey-dovey romance. I don’t think it’s time for me to show the side of me where I express my love. Doesn’t that excitement fade away when you see it too soon? Many people are curious about ‘what kind of feeling does the person, TOP, give off when he’s in love with a woman’ and I want to show that when people ask for it.


I think they’re already curious, don’t you think? What kind of woman do you like?
A nice woman.


(translated: solshin3@21bangs)